Wednesday, September 17, 2008

REASON #563 NOT TO LIVE IN OHIO: IKE

Yep, Doug wasn't kidding. Ike decided that (despite the state's motto) Texas WASN'T big enough and for fun, came up here to show us what a hurricane really felt like. So, except for no water and very little rain (which came later), we got to experience 70+ mph winds for about 5 hours or so. Over 700,000 people were without power in the greater Cincinnati area and about 300,000 in the Dayton area.

Pete's power came back on Sunday around 5:30 or 6. My power came back on Tuesday around 1:30 pm. Doug STILL has no power. The people behind me and over to Lehigh back to Lamme still have no power, nor do many other around here. Haven't heard from Ray & Lola, so I don't know if they have any or not, I know Tricia didn't have any power as of Tuesday morning. Pete and I just happened to think of John and Zola, one of us will try to check on them Wednesday. There is problems with the phone lines too, so I don't know. My cell works, of course, but my home phone quit working yesterday. Haven't heard anything from Michelle and I know Butler county was hit hard too, but I'm assuming she's okay.

It's not been fun. Most of the stores are closed and the ones that are open are running out of supplies fast and are packed. Same thing for gas stations and fast food restaurants. DP&L are still forecasting it will take up to Saturday or Sunday to get everyone back on line. They apparently use some kind of cloaking device on their trucks and workers since no one has actually SEEN a DP&L truck or worker since this happened.

Frickers burned to the ground early Monday morning. It took them about 5 hours to put out the fire. I know this since there was a fire truck on my street in front of my house running the entire time (it took many trucks, fire hydrants and water hoses to put that fire out). Also, the smoke from the fire blew into my apartment through the only window I can open. (if you're thinking what a fun time i had that night, you'd be so NOT right.) Most of the schools have been closed. It's been a real mess. Be glad you aren't here.

Still, it could be a lot worse - the people in Texas aren't having much fun either.

I always thought "Ike" was such a nice, grandfatherly name. Turns out, Ike is a right bastard.

Some pics I borrowed from the dailynews
.

5 comments:

mark said...

stop yer bitchin.its like confucius once said(or was it david allen coe?)"if you live in the asshole of the world you have to expect a little shit".and what is a right bastard?as opposed to a left bastard?a wrong bastard?im confused.could be my meds.or the fact that i havent slept in the last 6 months cause i keep haveing dreams of a doctor that looks like cathy lynch trying to cut my legs off.

mark said...

heres sumpin to cheer ya up!i was asked the other day,what is cincinatti like?and i said well,its like one big,fat,stinking,greasy nigger washed up on the banks of the ohio river.i know that will put a smile on yer face!!!

Robin said...

is there a reason why you talk like denver pyle or jack elam?? would ya stop with the "n" word? really.

michelle said...

I am fine power was off and on until tuesday but lucky for us Our water heater is gas so I could still take a hot shower. While all of this was going down, Sam and I were at a Bengals game, They of course tried to blame playing shitty on the wind but we all know better. Any way didn't realize how bad the wind actually was until our way home when going down route 4 all lights were out and nothing was open. Not even Jungle Jims. Thjen going down river rd there were all kinds of power lines down along with trees on peoples houses and garages. It was quite the mess. All that was in our yard was a little branch fell on Sams car and one of the rain gutters fell on his car also but other than that and a few limbs nothing major. Went and checked on Grandma and Papw and they had power as of sunday night. The tree between them and the newer trailer next door fell on the newer trailer. I told Grandma and Papw they we lucky it didn't fall on theirs. Lucky for me I still have a half of tank of gas in my suv so I will not be stuck in those rediculous gas lines. several places around here ran out of gas. People act so stupid It could be worse.... You might not have a home at all!!!! well. It is way past my bed time so I'm going to go. I would have posted this on a blog but for some reason this page is in spanish. whatever!!!!

mark said...

i beleive my speech to be much that of rhett butler.and i will thank you madam,to keep yore yankee opinion to yoreself