Saturday, June 30, 2007

TYLER'S GRAD PARTY

Pete had the graduation party for Tyler this evening. Good food (Kim made this awesome Mexican chicken!) and good time! Tyler is the first of Kim's kids to graduate and the first of Pete's kids and grandkids to graduate, so we were all really proud of him. I am particularly proud of him because he stuck with it when he could have just gave it up a couple of years ago, especially with all the school shuffling he went through. Unfortunately, Tyler's plans to enter the Navy in October fell through when the Navy denied him because of his eyes. This was a big disappointment to Tyler, because after the Air Force denied him, he was pretty sure he had gotten in the Navy.

I remember years ago, when Tyler was just a little boy and had his first cataract surgery, how he cried when the doctors told him he would never be a fighter pilot. That was all he ever wanted, it was his dream. This poor kid, who's been through so much with his eyes and finally, FINALLY has pretty good eyesight, still can't get into any of the armed forces. Tyler knew he wouldn't ever be a pilot but he thought he could at least serve and get an education. I asked Pete if maybe the Coast Guard would accept him since they don't really go into combat....they're more rescue and patrol. Don't know but I hope he finds something.

Anyway, we are all proud of him and he seemed to really appreciate the party. Doyle (Kati and Casey's dad) even sent him some money via Kati as a present. Kati said her Dad told her he might as well give SOMEONE a graduation present! Doyle - 2 points; Kati and Casey - 0.

Doug tried to tell Ray the joke Paul told us at Peg's that last morning, but couldn't remember part of it. Neither could Pete or me, so Pete called Mike in Mexico and left a message to call with the joke! He hadn't called by the time we left and I'm sure Ray is wondering what the hell the joke is!!

Casey informed us that, until a couple of weeks ago, he had no idea OUR last name was Coots. Seriously. Apparently, some guy came into his work, asked him who his mom & dad were and then informed him he was related to the Coots'. Casey denied it, believing this to be true. He also has no idea of who this guy is, which really irks me. I made him call Wade to see if he knew who the guy was. Those of you who know Wade will know the result of THAT question. Those Barnetts!!! I myself have had occassion to deny relationship to certain Coots', usually when in the company of police officers, but at least I know how all the families are connected.

But, I digress. The party was nice, weather was good, food was great, blah blah blah. You may or may not see some pics on here. The Brooks' are headed our way and we have another party next Saturday for Daddy John (80th birthday). And THAT, I believe, will take care of the festivities for this clan this summer!


1 comment:

michelle said...

OMG!! How funny that Casey is....so since Tyler can't get into the military is going to go to college? I'm sorry I missed the party. But I had a wonderful time in ATL. Didn't want to come home....See ya'll sometime this week...Is anybody having a cookout on the 4th?